Saturday, February 6, 2010

Dreams of Surfing in a Blizzard

February 6th, 2010

A major portion of the Northeast was hit by a massive snow storm that began yesterday afternoon and is slowly fading away this evening. During the local news coverage, Glenn "Hurricane" Schwartz the meterologist for NBC 10 warned of power outages, zero visibility, gusting winds, and waves of 10 to 12 feet at the Jersey Shore.

I've been waiting out the storm in my small cozy twin house on Hampden Ave reading Stuart Coleman's book on Makaha - Fierce Heart. Although I am buried in white powder, my mind is dreaming of white foam. It is a long stretch of time from early October to late April, my off-season from surfing. This is the time I find solace in surf films, surf mags, surf bios, and surf novels. Despite my inability to enjoy today's waves - Hurricane Bill style I bet - I can ride them in my dreams.

Someday, I might have the gall to purchase the equipment necessary for winter surfing. I can start a winter surf fund and save little by little until the next El Nino season. For now, I'll have to be content with snow fall and dreams of surfs up!

The Blizzard Haiku
-------------------
There is a snow storm
that brings big surf to the Shore
while I sit at home.

1 comment: